Thursday, April 12, 2018

Perry Bible Fellowship

There are some highlights of this book that I really love:
First, it has extraordinary art. The delicate patterns of the first couple pages make me feel that I’m not reading a book, I’m seeing the delicate packaging on a luxurious pastry box, and I’m having an exciting journey. The color is not childish at all, in my opinion. It didn’t use the brightest colors in the world— which is usually used in children’s book. However, this pastel colors has some delicacy and sophistication in it, while not losing the playful atmosphere. Nicholas Gurewitch is really good at using colors. It is one of those very aesthetically pleasant comics that gives me inspirations for graphic designs. 
 

Second, it is also very interesting to see four panels, single scene short story. It is precise, and just like walking in the mall, I don’t have to stick in a single store for a long time, I can browse different stores and having fun here and there. 


Third, Gurewitch is also good at using irony tones. He depicted characters with an unexpected tone. For example, he depicted Jesus more playful than that in the Bible. He also personifies butterfly with a humorous monologue of how caterpillars were scared of transforming into butterflies. Another irony was how a happy birthday is a day towards horrifying death. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment