Thursday, April 12, 2018

Superheroes Reconsidered-- Wonder Woman

I am a fan of Wonder Woman. I have never read Wonder Women comics but I have watched its movie that came out last year. I saw there were a lot of similarities between the movie and the comics piece “Wonder Woman Spirit of Truth” by Alex Ross. The character in the comics still carry the spirit of wonder woman—she is powerful, brave, save people from wars and death, especially like children, and she has the magic rope that can catch anything. The basic character traits and thread of the story are the same. 



However, the movie only shows one story about Hitler in World War II, but the comics portray wonder woman from a more International standpoint. She not only save the people from Europe or in the western world, she also save the people from other countries such as China and Muslim countries. When I saw wonder woman saving people in Europe, I appreciate her character traits; but when she dropped into the scene in China saving people from the conflict in the 50s, I was touched. “Wow,” was my first reaction; I was amazed how this powerful human being can be more powerful than the tanks and change the history. This comics really changed my perspective of seeing things, it empowers people to trust their strengths. I always think that there were way too few superhero movies that were set on an eastern background, and it is amazing to see things like that. (Monkey King doesn’t count, he gained power from magic, but I think wonder woman represents and emphasizes human power.)

No comments:

Post a Comment